Neymar on Manchester United shortlist as Cristiano Ronaldo showdown talks drag on
The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Neymar to Man Utd if Ronaldo runs away?
Manchester United have already drawn up a shortlist of replacements for Cristiano Ronaldoaccording to the Daily Mirror, as the Portuguese star is still determined to leave Old Trafford after talks over his future took place at Carrington training base on Tuesday.
The report says the four-man list of potential replacements includes Neymar, as Paris Saint-Germain seek to remove the 30-year-old striker from their wage bill. The Brazil international has already been linked with a move to the Premier League, with the French club reportedly offering him to Manchester City.
Captain of AS Monaco Wissam Ben Yedderwho scored 32 Ligue 1 goals last season, alongside Stuttgart Sasa Kalajdzic and that of Brentford Ivan Toneyare also under study.
The Telegraph added that Ronaldo, who was accompanied by agent Jorge Mendes at the talks on Tuesday, remained unmoved after meeting club CEO Richard Arnold and former mentor Sir Alex Ferguson.
ESPN reported earlier this month that Ronaldo submitted a transfer request due to his desire to play in the Champions League, but potential transfer destinations are limited. Atletico Madrid were the latest club linked with the former Real Madrid star, but Atleti president Enrique Cerezo has dismissed a move by Ronaldo, calling it “virtually impossible” on Tuesday.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
12:34 BST: NeymarBarcelona and Santos will face trial on October 17 for fraud and corruption in relation to the Brazilian striker’s transfer to Barca in 2013, Brazilian investment group DIS said in a statement on Wednesday.
Neymar’s father, mother and family business N&N have also been charged in the case, along with former Santos manager Odilio Rodrigues and Sandro Rosell and Josep Maria Bartomeu, then Barcelona president and vice-president respectively.
The case stems from a complaint by DIS, who owned part of Neymar’s transfer rights and alleges he received less money than he was entitled to when Neymar joined Barcelona.
Inquiries have been carried out in Spain and Brazil to determine whether part of the transfer fee was concealed and the trial, which will be held in the Barcelona Provincial Court, is expected to continue until October 31.
Neymar has denied wrongdoing but, in 2017, Spain’s High Court dismissed appeals from the player, his parents, N&N and both clubs, paving the way for a trial.
12:00 BST: Very welcome for Paulo Dybala in Rome.
Paulo Dybala is greeted as a hero as he is unveiled as a Roma player.
11.05 BST: Diego Simeone was not presented with the possibility of signing Cristiano Ronaldo by anyone at Atletico Madrid, Cadena Ser Reportsand the manager would not be willing to see Antoine Griezmann leave as part of any potential deal.
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo said on Tuesday a move for Ronaldo was “virtually impossible” after the striker held crisis talks at Manchester United’s training ground.
Griezmann – alongside Alvaro Morata – has been named as a high earner who may need to leave Atletico to make room in La Liga’s spending limit to sign Ronaldo, but according to SER, Simeone sees him as ‘untransferable’.
10.43 BST: Rayo Vallecano’s sporting department and manager Andoni Iraola are kept in the dark about a possible move for Diego Costa, Cadena COPE ReportsPresident Raul Martin Presa personally handling the matter.
Costa, 33, last played for Brazil’s Atletico Mineiro, scoring four goals as he won a domestic double, after leaving Atletico Madrid in December 2020.
A move to Rayo – where he previously spent the 2011-12 season on loan – would see him form a veteran duo with Radamel Falcao.
According to COPE however, coach Iraola would prefer other targets.
10.12 BST: Arsenal left-back Nuno Tavares are set to move to Atalanta, according to Sport Italia.
After spending £30m to sign Oleksandr Zinchenko from Manchester City, the Gunners now have Tavares, Zinchenko and Kieran Tierney like the three left-backs of their team.
Tavares, 22, is keen to spend more playing time and the former Benfica defender could leave on loan.
09:30 BST: Uruguayan club Nacional have teased the signing of Luis Suarez as a free agent.
The 35-year-old former Liverpool and Barcelona forward started his professional career at Nacional before joining Dutch side FC Groningen in 2006.
— National (@Nacional) July 27, 2022
08:55 BST: Chelsea are interested in signing the Leicester City defender Wesley Fofanaaccording to Sky Sports.
Fofana, 21, was on the radar of several top clubs after an impressive start to his career at Leicester, only to suffer a broken leg last summer which ruled him out for most of the 2021-22 season.
The French centre-back is under contract until 2017, but that hasn’t stopped Chelsea from considering him as a candidate to bolster their defence.
The Blues have already signed Kalidou Koulibaly this summer for 40 million euros, while they have also been in talks for Sevilla FC Jules Kounde and that of Manchester City Nathan Ake.
08:38 BST: Barcelona manager Xavi Hernandez said Lionel Messi returning to the team is ‘impossible’ at the moment, but he hasn’t closed the door on his return in the future for good.
Barca president Joan Laporta told ESPN last week that he considers it his responsibility to ensure Messi has a ‘better end’ at Camp Nou after his painful exit last summer .
However, Xavi played down the chances of re-signing Messi from Paris Saint-Germain, who he joined on a two-year deal last summer as Barca couldn’t afford to renew his contract.
“Leo has a contract, so it’s impossible, impossible,” Xavi told a Dallas press conference ahead of Tuesday’s friendly against Juventus at the Cotton Bowl.
“It makes no sense to talk about Messi. He is the best player in the world and the best ever. The president has already said that he hopes Messi’s story doesn’t end with Barcelona. We We’ll see in the future, but now is not the time to talk about Leo, now is the time to talk about the exciting players we have here.”
The post-Messi era accelerated at Barcelona this summer with the signings of forwards Robert Lewandowski and Raphinha. They follow the January arrivals of Ferran Torres and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
08:00 BST: Luis Suarez has agreed a pre-contract deal to join Uruguayan club Nacional as a free agent, the former Liverpool and Barcelona striker said on Tuesday.
The 35-year-old striker started his professional career at Nacional before joining Dutch side FC Groningen in 2006.
“First of all, I wanted to thank you for the love through all the messages that my family and I have received over the past few days, which has been overwhelming. It touched our hearts at that time when we had to take a decision,” he said in a video posted to his Twitter account.
“And it was impossible to waste this opportunity to play again at Nacional and we have a pre-agreement with the club.
“In the next few hours the details will be finalized and we hope that the agreement that we all want will be reached and that we can all enjoy this new stage and see each other in the coming days.”
– Thousands of fans wear Suarez masks to urge him to return to Nacional
Shaka Hislop is worried about Chelsea’s lack of significant signings in the summer transfer window compared to Arsenal and Tottenham.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Abbie Ingham)
– Whether Frankie de Jong is forced to leave Barcelona, it will only be for Chelsea, according to Sport. The 25-year-old midfielder is still fighting to stay at Camp Nou next season and has no interest in joining Manchester United, with whom he has been linked on several occasions. The Dutch international is said to be keen on Chelsea’s current project under new owner Todd Boehly, but the London side are unwilling to offer more than the €85m offered by United in their opening bid.
– Chelsea are interested in signing Harry Kanebut believes Tottenham Hotspur would prefer to strike a deal with Bayern Munich, according to Image. The 28-year-old striker is being watched by both Thomas Tuchel and Julian Nagelsmann as the forward has two years left on his contract with Spurs. However, Chelsea acknowledge that Bayern would have the inside route for the England captain as he is unlikely to leave for a Premier League rival.
– Borja Mayoral will decide his future at Real Madrid after returning from the club’s pre-season tour of the United States, Mundo Deportivo report. The 25-year-old looked set to join Getafe on a permanent deal worth €10m, following a loan spell in the second half of last season. However, the striker has reportedly asked to delay the transfer to see if he has a place in Carlo Ancelotti’s future plans as a replacement for Karim Benzema. Celta Vigo are also interested but Getafe stay ahead as Mayoral want to stay in the city of Madrid next season.
– Flamengo have started negotiations with Shanghai SIPG for the former Chelsea star Oscaraccording fabrice romano. The 30-year-old midfielder is reportedly pushing for a move to the Brazilian Serie A outfit next summer, as the two sides seek to agree a deal that would move him to Rio de Janeiro until June 2023.
– Borussia Dortmund are not interested Mauro Icardi, writes RMC Sport. Icardi, 29, is on PSG’s list for a transfer this summer but the Argentina international would be too expensive for the Bundesliga side. Newly promoted Monza have started talks to bring the former Internazionale star back to Serie A. Dortmund are looking for a short-term solution for the striker in the absence of Sebastien Haller, who was sidelined indefinitely after being diagnosed with a testicular tumor.